"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


spin arrives in austin

Well, since I'm not one of the three lucky people I know who get to go to tonight's debate (one is in the FRONT ROW), I decided to pop by the debate site and see what's going on.
Oh, my word. There is some serious crazy out there. And serious obsession with posting posters on every available surface. The kids were yelling and singing and banging on buckets and generally creating a spectacle for the few tv cameras that were already out there.
Of the 60 or so people who were out at 2:30, I'd say about 40 were Obama supporters and 20 were Hillary supporters. The Obama group was definitely the more diverse, although Hillary apparently has a lock on the women in comfy shoes vote in Austin.
The debate is going to be something, that's for sure. Check it out tonight at 7 on CNN and en Espanol on Univision.


Blogger Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

O.K., the teacher in me grades Clinton as the slight winner of the debate. (B+ to Obama's B) But since she absolutely HAS to win both Ohio (where's she's slightly ahead with 12 days to go) and Texas (where she is in a statistical dead heat) by big margins to have a real chance at being the nominee, she needed to win the debate in a BIG way. She didn't.

Obama has gotten better at debating and, in classic frontrunner style (his first debate) he just had to keep from losing--and he did. If she doesn't do better in the Ohio debate, she's done.

Let me be clear: I DON'T share the irrational Clinton hatred or Hillary hatred of many. I voted for Bill twice (although with more qualms in '96) and defended them both against stupid attacks throughout the '90s. But they disappointed me, too. They have such talent and didn't use it as well as they needed. And I find it hard to get over the fact that Hillary voted for the authorization to invade Iraq (and against the Levin amendment) and refuses to apologize and sticks to her stupid, "If we knew then what we know now" answer. Many, MANY people, including Obama, correctly judged the problem then.

But the main reason I am glad that Obama seems likely to be the nominee is that I think he has the better chance of beating McCain and ushering in some major changes.

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:19:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home