"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

2.11.2008

love letters from the congo

So, as I've mentioned before, I get lots of love letters from various correspondents in the eastern Congo. And I feel like someone else needs to share in enjoying the contents of these emails, considering that they are all from men with whom I had, at most, 30 minutes to an hour's interaction. (In other words, they are all from perfect near-strangers.) Is that wrong? Does anyone care?

Here's the latest:

"We met in the Congo there where your American brother [my "Brother"] did an internship and there I have had so much love and I have rested my heart with you until now. Have you finished your studies already?"

This would be the first time I've heard from him since our apparently fateful meeting in 2005.

4 Comments:

Anonymous the librarian said...

You are his African queen. You make his heart go ding a ling a ling!

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:14:00 PM

 
Blogger David McCullars said...

Well, you know it is almost Valentine's Day. I know I won't be getting any love notes from anywhere on the African continent this year, so count your blessings.

Monday, February 11, 2008 5:45:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

wow, that's um...interesting.

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:28:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Librarian, you just HAD to go there! :)

David, it's a fine line between blessing and curse.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:13:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home