"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

2.08.2008

it's a miracle!

Today is the day that I am giving the first midterm exam of the semester to both of my classes. This semester, I've instituted a somewhat harsh make-up exams policy: unless you have a university-related absence (eg, a game or a debate) that you tell me about in advance, you can't make up the exam. Instead, the weight of that exam is applied to your final exam.

Is this a fair policy? Maybe not, but I don't care. I've gotten so tired of students lying to me about why they didn't show up (there's one with a sketchy story almost every exam or other due date), and it's a huge pain to come up with another exam for absent students.

But here's an interesting side effect: today, for the first time in I can't remember how long, none of my students have had a grandparent suddenly pass away right before the exam. That's right: my no make-up exams policy is saving lives. Glory!

2 Comments:

Blogger euphrony said...

Were you Catholic, I would make note of this for possible future beautification. Alas, as a baptist, you're missing out on people one day remembering St. Texas in Africa. :)

Friday, February 08, 2008 1:12:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Hahahahahaha!!!!

Friday, February 08, 2008 3:08:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home