"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

1.30.2008

on that midnight train to georgia

Well, after all these months of talking and writing about it, it's hard to believe that the Celebration of a New Baptist Covenant is here. In a couple of hours I head to Atlanta to join with 10,000 other Baptists from diverse backgrounds to commit to working together to serve those in need.

To be honest, I'm not as excited as I expected to be. After the events of this week, I'm emotionally drained, and worried about the kids we're leaving behind. And I hate - HATE - Atlanta. But here is what I know: despite all the problems and disappointments and things that were done and things that were left undone, and despite the fact that Bill Clinton is just about the last person I want to hear talk right now, the NBC represents a great opportunity, both in the symbolic terms of reconciliation and giving the world a different kind of Baptist witness, and in the concrete sense of actually doing justice, loving mercy, and walking humbly with our God. I am excited to be a part of this opportunity, and will do everything I can to make sure that the events of this week translate into action.

I'll be doing some writing about the NBC for Ethics Daily, as well as hopefully some liveblogging here, so check Texas in Africa through the weekend for updates. Aaron and Brian are posting on it as well, as is Don Byrd at Report from the Capitol and the team at Baptists Today.

If you're headed to Atlanta, shoot me an email - I'd love to meet as many readers as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home