"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

1.21.2008

music mondays: "munt'omnyama"

Kat has started a new feature called "Music Mondays," whereby readers of The Secret Life of Kat can link in posts about songs/albums they like. Since I love music, and since I haven't blogged about music nearly enough lately, this seems like a good time to start. From now until we'll see when, I'll try to do a post on music most Mondays.

Fair warning to Kat's readers: I don't like or listen to much Christian music, so the music mentioned in these posts may not be exactly your kind of thing. That said, it will all be family-friendly, so no worries about your little ones overhearing something you'll have to explain.

So. I was never really a hip-hop kind of gal, but these past few years, I've really developed a taste for African versions of the genre. I'm just fascinated by the idea that these musical forms have now crossed the Atlantic twice - first when slaves brought call-and-response and other rhythms to the Americas, where they developed into the blues, jazz, and eventually rock-and-roll, and then again when rock evolved into rap and rap into hip-hop, and now it's crossed back to the continent again. African hip-hop and other mixed genres of music combine traditional beats with modern forms, and I cannot get enough of it. So for today's Music Monday, I give you:

"Munt'Omnyama" by Mafikizolo featuring Stoan and Jahseed

Unfortunately, the only online version I can find of this song is the soundtrack to the second half of a YouTube tribute video to Prince Harry's girlfriend. Go fig.

Why do I love this song? For one thing, it's catchy. "Munt'Omnyama" is great to dance to, and despite the fact that I have no idea what the words actually say (the title translates to something akin to "black folks"), it seems like you just instinctively know what it's about. The song is partially based in Marabi, a style of jazz that originated in South Africa's apartheid-era townships. I dare you to listen to it and not dance.

"Munt'Omnyama" is available on the excellent Tsotsi soundtrack, or you can buy it as a single track at iTunes. Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger euphrony said...

Now who ever said all I listen to is Christian music. I end up talking a bit about it on blogs because I end up hanging around a lot of Christian bloggers. My general music rules involve staying away from the crude and vulgar, or those that promote hate or violence. Otherwise, I listen to most anything (okay, I'm not such a big fan of rap/hip-hop, but that's just a stylistic preference).

I do listen to a fair amount of Christian music, but I'm very picky about what I listen to. Very little of what is in rotation on my iPod is widely heard on the radio (that goes for all genres, not just Christian). I tend to ignore the artists who sound like fifty others, musically and lyrically, and gravitate to good writers and good musicians. There's a bevy of singer/songwriters in my collection.

Outside of the Christian music I listen to, I have some classic and modern rock, jazz (not nearly enough, though), a good deal of folk, bluegrass, and Celtic music. Round it out with a selection of choral and orchestral works and there you have it. I have songs that date back to the era of Henry VIII, some that are not set to be released in March, and everything in between.

I’ll have to listen to your selection later at home, since work blocks YouTube and I’m rebuilding my home computer at the moment.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:50:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Hey, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that SPECIFIC readers only listen to Christian music - just that some of Kat's readers might be expecting that. And that doesn't mean that people who listen to Christian music don't have good musical taste.

Are we still blog friends? :)

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:05:00 AM

 
Blogger euphrony said...

You are sentenced to probation: 5-9 comments, with time off for good behavior ;)

Just clarifying my own stance - no offense taken.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:51:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Lol, good!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:14:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home