"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

1.15.2008

hmmmm....

My evaluations for last semester arrived today.

It's always a little nerve-wracking to open that envelope. Sure, students are fickle, and anyone reading these evaluations with thoughts of giving me a tenure-track job will know that the student who never studies for an exam and never comes to class is going to complain that the exams are too hard. Or that some students will say the subject matter is "unsalvagably boring" no matter how good the instructor is (note to that student: there are some days when I couldn't agree more). Or that somebody will think your lecture style is too fast-paced, while somebody else asks if you could hurry up. We're used to parsing through this stuff and looking at trends rather than individual comments.

But still. There's part of me that wants to know that I'm becoming a better educator, that I conveyed the material effectively, and that the students enjoyed the class. I want them to have liked me, darn it.

Anyway, luckily, this semester's evaluations are fine, and the criticisms are constructive. Here's the most perplexing comment:

"I felt like I was back in high school, but in a good way."

Does anyone know what this means?!?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Attorney said...

Maybe it means your class is like "High School Musical."

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:06:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Well, obviously. But, I mean, aside from all the wholesome family sing-a-longs, huh?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:38:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home