"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

1.18.2008

deep in my heart, i do believe



I don't know if you've ever heard the entire "I Have a Dream" speech. I'm having my students watch it today, and am struck once again by what an incredible oratory Dr. King gave on that day 45 years ago. Part sermon, part political speech, and all call to action, he said exactly what needed to be said in that time and place: that injustice in our world poses moral questions that demand a response. There's a reason those words still speak to us today, for the great challenges of our time also demand that we reply.

As we're enjoying the long weekend, I encourage you to engage with his words and to commit to living in such a way as to free those who are oppressed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous the librarian said...

I watched a part of the speech every day this week as part of one of my lessons. I got chills every time. My 2nd graders have never been so attentive.

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Roger said...

I watched as well...and Wednesday night I read the entire Letter from the Birmingham Jail to the congregation and the words just kept us on the edge of our seat....

He first delivered that speech on the steps of the Capitol in Jackson, MS as he marched from Jackson to Oxford, MS, retracing the steps of James Meredith...the night before, the entire group slept on the campgrounds in Canton, MS where a young black speaker names Stokely Carmichael gave a speech, using for the first time, the phrase, "Black Power"....The historical archives of Mississippi have a wonderful filkm of King giving a version of the I Have a Dream Speech (not exactly the same, but close) on those Capitol steps....I think it may have been more dangerous for him to give it there than in D.C....but fear, which he often acknowledged, never stopped his commitment...

Friday, January 18, 2008 10:21:00 PM

 
Anonymous Michael Westmoreland-White said...

I still think the Dream speech has been overdone. I believe other of King's speeches and sermons are more powerful, especially his "Beyond Vietnam" and "I've Been to the Mountaintop."

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Roger said...

Michael, it may not be the best speech he gave....but it is the we remember the most (Mountaintop, second; Vietnam, third)...and is not the "sermon remembered" the most valuable one in some ways?....It has done its work...and amazingly, still continues doing its work....

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:54:00 PM

 
Anonymous Michael Westmoreland-White said...

My further comments on celebrating MLK correctly are here:
http://levellers.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/mlk-jr-nonviolent-radical-for-our-time/

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:27:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home