"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


the book list

I've been tagged by Kevin at Confessions of a Recovering Pharisee:

1. One book that changed your life:

Henri Nouwen, The Return of the Prodigal Son (purchased at the Catholic bookshop in Nairobi when I was 20)

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:

Willie Morris, North Toward Home (an annual read)

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:

John 'Lofty' Wiseman, SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea

4. Two books that made you laugh:

Sarah Vowell, Assassination Vacation

Anne Fadiman, Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader

5. One book that made you cry:

Marilynne Robinson, Gilead (One of the best books I've ever read. It's a fictional letter from a dying pastor to his seven-year-old son.)

6. One book that you wish had been written:

The Wedding of the Century: a True Story by the CPP and Texas in Africa

7. One book that you wish had never been written:

Elizabeth Eliot, Passion and Purity (Dare I say I think it's extra-biblical? I'll wait for the wrath to descend.)

8. Two books you’re currently reading:
Dave Eggers, What is the What? (a book about a Sudanese refugee)

Evelyn Waugh, The Loved One

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:

Graham Hancock, Lords of Poverty: the Power, Prestige, and Corruption of the International Aid Business

and John Ryan, Micronations (a travel guide to all the countries not recognized by the UN, like the guy who declares his backyard a sovereign state)

10. Now tag five (or so) people:
Emily (Happy Birthday!), Euphrony, Amy, Jess, David


Blogger Kevin Bussey said...

Interesting list.

Haven't heard of most of them.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 12:30:00 PM

Blogger euphrony said...

You would tag me, wouldn't you! Most of my reading this year has involved scientific journals, so I'll have to think on it. Give me some time, and I'll post.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 2:52:00 PM

Blogger Emily said...

It was a little difficult, but I did it. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Sunday, January 06, 2008 10:16:00 PM

Blogger Amy said...

I couldn't think of a book I wish had never been written! I'm afraid my books aren't as scholarly as yours, but I posted.

Monday, January 07, 2008 3:30:00 PM

Blogger David McCullars said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:33:00 AM

Blogger David McCullars said...

Here you go:


Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:34:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home