"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


still the best ever


Anonymous rp said...

Gosh, I"d never seen REK's video version...just brings tears to the eyes...but then, to actually be able to (sorta) watch the Rosie O'Donnel/Dixie Chick version as well...well, bring it on Santa/Jesus/Shopping cause I am now ready for the Big One (Christmas that is, not a heart attack!)

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:21:00 PM

Anonymous the librarian said...

Merry Christmas. Or should I say X-mas?

Have you heard "Daddy Please Don't Get Drunk This Christmas"? I think it's Bruce Robison. Not as good, but still quite funny.

Monday, December 10, 2007 5:11:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

What I can't figure out is how brother Ken's three kids from the first marriage are younger than the identical twins from the second. :)

Lib, yes, I've heard it. What does it say about our city that it produces so many of these kinds of songs?

Monday, December 10, 2007 6:01:00 PM

Anonymous rp said...

Not our city....Both Bruce R & REK are from Bandera, where my mother-in-law lives!!! The Cowboy Capital of Texas (as they say!!)

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:29:00 PM

Anonymous rp said...

As for that twins thing....I figger that ole Kenny boy had him an affair w/ the woman who turned out to be wife #2 and she had them twins while they was living in the next county at the trailer park...meanwhile, he's still married to his first wife w/ whom he had the three beloved, aforementioned children, but upon learning that Kennny boy had STRAYEd and shacked up w/that hussy from the trailer park and that her twins had KENNY for a FATHER, he was out on his ear and soon in wedlock to the other woman, thus making the twins of his seocnd marraige older than the three chillun from that there first marriage...but thank the lord, he has now quit drinking and his third wife...and I just can NOT 'member her name to save my life...she's really into AA and got him clean up his act even if she IS a bit of a Nazi 'bout it?

You see, T in A, you gotta be from either Arkansas or Oklahoma to understand how this makes perfectly good sense!! Can I get an Amen from the Librarian?

Monday, December 10, 2007 7:35:00 PM

Blogger Michael Westmoreland-White said...

And I thought my family reunions were bad.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:05:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Oh, please, Roger, there was a daycare at my high school. I know what trailer life is like ... from a distance. The new wife is Kay. 'Cause it rhymes with AA.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:35:00 PM

Anonymous rp said...

ah, the difference between you & me is that I have sisters, nieces & nephews in those trailers...

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 11:32:00 PM

Blogger Michael Westmoreland-White said...

Twice in my life (briefly as a child and even more briefly when first married), I lived in a trailer. I even purchased a T-shirt that said, "trailer trash."

However, and I think this is a generational "thang," there were not yet daycares in my high school. (We did, however, know in those far off '70s which girls made multiple trips to the local abortion clinic. Never mind.) Oh, and though I'm originally from Florida--that trailer scene looked like far too many here in "Kaintuckee" for me to agree that Arkansas and Oklahoma have a lock.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:29:00 AM

Anonymous rp said...

Gosh Michael, I thought my three years in Louisville were a step up! Of course, you and I know that Lou-a-vul (whatever!) is NOT Kentucky...at least,not Kaintuckee

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:08:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

R, clearly you haven't met the Oklahoma branch of my family. I can't really go into details here, but it's entertaining.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:17:00 PM

Blogger Michael Westmoreland-White said...

RP, you are SOO right that Lou-UH-VUl is not like the rest of Kaintuckee--except on the Southside on Dixie Highway heading toward Ft. Knox. That's where I used to have a trailer. When 9/11 happened and all my liberal friends complained in the aftermath about being "American flagged" to death--I was happy. My neighbors had to take down their Confederate flags in order to put up U.S. flags. It was the first time many of them admitted belonging to the same country as "NEW YORK SITTEE!"

I have to say, I was glad when we could afford to move downtown.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:22:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home