"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)



This is an interesting opinion piece on the propensity of some members of the religious right to constantly create new so-called enemies of Christianity. Far from being harmless, the author argues, this tendency is instead frighteningly symptomatic of a fascistic outlook. It's not as simplistic as it sounds, and I encourage you to read his thoughtful analysis.


Blogger David McCullars said...

I was very impressed by the article until I saw that the book he pulled his definition of fascism from was 2004. This doesn't invalidate it by any means, and I'm sure it's excellent scholarly work, but it's almost impossible for anything post-9/11, post-Bush to be written without some sort of historical bias. Would have been more effective if that definition had come from say 1945 or something.

Also, the comment at the bottom of the page was funny. Touché on the global warming, but the rest sounded like they came from a 5th grader saying "I know you are but what am I?"

Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:43:00 PM

Anonymous rp said...

I wish were surprised by Tony Perkins response. I knew it would be a mere nano-second before the action of very ill person became a movement against all Christians...maybe Perkins should be looking into the atmosphere of that particular church and why so many hypocritcal and mentally unstable behaviors keep occuring there, from Ted Haggard on..

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:53:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home