"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)



Here's what a nerd I am: tonight, after ending another semester of wrangling the GA's, I'm going to a watching party for tonight's CNN/YouTube Republican debate. That is hosted by a friend who is not one of my political scientist colleagues.

(I was also 1992 state champion in anatomy in junior high Science Olympiad, president of the French Club, and (inexplicably) a member of the math honor society. And I lettered (4 years) in band. We can nerd-off if you want to, but you're going to lose.)

Nerdiness aside, I'm looking forward to seeing which of the viewer-submitted YouTube questions will be selected for the candidates to answer. Ethics Daily's would be very fun to get answers to:


Blogger euphrony said...

I, too, lettered four years in band. I was fourth in overall science in the state UIL my senior year. I did Number Sense and Calculator competitions, as well. And choir. I was in the Spanish club, but never motivated enough to go for office. Same with NHS. And the closest I got to playing football in high school was when I got hit by a bad pass, 20 rows up in the stands. The summer before my senior year, I decided to spend taking a couple of college classes in anatomy and botany.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:50:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Very impressive, Euphrony, but I think I can do you one better on the summer before senior year: I went to a monthlong, state-sponsored program for gifted students and studied Arabic. It was one of the most fun things I've ever done. But I have to give you calculator competitions. Wow. Geek. :)

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:25:00 PM

Blogger Kirstin said...

I also competed in calculators and loved it. In fact, i picked out my purses based on whether my calculator would fit well into them.

And I attended Math Camp when I was 16. I was also in band and played French Horn (the nerdiest of all instruments).

Eh, I think you and your friend above my post here probably have me beat, though...

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:37:00 PM

Anonymous the librarian said...

I see those nerd-iriffic accomplishments and raise you...

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:45:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

I am in tears! Kir, seriously? You picked your HANDBAGS based on whether or not your calculator fit?!?

L, I'd argue that the fact that you have a hip retro t-shirt from piano camp counts for a deduction in the nerd factor. But, okay, fine. I'll raise the stakes to 7 years of a summer enrichment program called Young Scholars AND I was first runner-up in a scholarship essay contest about the importance of freedom. Top that!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:06:00 PM

Blogger euphrony said...

As part of our school's gifted and talented program (me and my group were the first in it when the school started the program) I displayed my drumming prowess along with others in the class as we gave a rock concert to 3rd graders. For a grade. Complete with laser light show and dry ice fog. I think we played AC/DC.

In physics, I opted out of skipping a test because I wanted to take it. Really.

But I never had a matching handbag for my calculator. It fit nicely in my binder.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:55:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home