"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


what would Jesus do?

Oh my word.

Would anyone but Hyde Park Baptist Church would throw the Muslims out of their gym? Thereby giving a local synagogue the opportunity to host them instead?

(I'm not saying they don't have the right to do whatever they want. And I'm not in the least bit surprised.)


Anonymous rp said...

I'm deeply disturbed by this as you might imagine....but I am also bothered by the media wanting to me to make a statement AGAINST HPBC...not a statement about support of the event,but a statemetn against HPBC...I think their belief system is goofy...but don't they ALSO have the right to say no? Is this a First Amendment kind of issue? A fRee speech issue? You tell me...and maybe I'm not sure WWJD? as the person in the interview said....

I was salvitating at the idea of blasting them....but I had to stop and reconsider that response...How Christian would THAT response be?

Now, if they DID participate in AAIM they would have known what the organization does...so, one mark against them....But please....is AAIM just as ignorant that they actually BELIEVED that HPBC would rent them space without causing this very kind of problem? That's just as naive....

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:15:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

No, you're right that of course it isn't Christian to blast them, and of course AAIM should've known it wouldn't work. And, like I said, of course they have the right to do whatever they want. But I do think there's something to be said about their theology here. I'm don't have time for a fight with the fundies today, so I'm choosing not to get into it.

My own experiences at WBC, where a Jewish congregation used our space one day during the week (and they shared their childcare with our kids while the WBC moms were in their Bible study). It was beautiful, and our church shared a great relationship with others in the community, which sure came in handy on 9/11 when everyone needed it.

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:33:00 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody else remember the day the Baha'is came to FBC Austin? The Baha'i lady who sat next to me talked my ear off all through the service. Every time the pastor said something, she would lean over to me and whisper, "Well, the Bahai's believe [insert belief here]." It was a hoot.

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:02:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Anon, that's awesome. I had the most entertaining interview ever at a Baha'i school in the Congo this summer.

Friday, November 16, 2007 11:07:00 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the preacher whom the Baha'i was commenting upon :), I remember that day well...and it grew out a relationship that I had with Johnathan Legard, the Southwest Reporter for The Economist magazine...Jonathan, who is now a published novelist and who lives in Kenya grew up in the Church of Scotland, where his father was a Presbyterian Pastor...Oddly enough, my friendship with Jonathan grew out an interview he did with me regarding a story on Baptist fundamentalism he was doing for the Economist...So, fundamentalism led to a friendship which led to an interfaith experience for both FBC and the Baha'i community......Maybe something good will come out of this as well....

Friday, November 16, 2007 11:14:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home