"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

11.30.2007

nbc speakers announced

The lineup of speakers for breakout sessions at the Celebration of a New Baptist Covenant is out, and all I can say is WOW. It's clearly going to be very difficult to choose which sessions to attend, but I'm leaning towards doing something out-of-the-ordinary and not just going to all the public policy stuff like I usually do. Don't get me wrong; I'll be in some of those sessions as well (the chance to hear Miguel de la Torre speak on a panel on race relations is too good to miss), but one of my goals for the NBC is to step outside my comfort zone a bit and interact with those I wouldn't just see in everyday life anyway. "Prophetic Preaching" (with James Forbes on Friday!) looks pretty amazing, and I'm curious to hear David Gushee and Stan Hastey on "Peacemaking" (at, unfortunately, the exact same time as Forbes).

Don't miss out on hearing these fantastic speakers. Registration for the New Baptist Covenant is free - get signed up today!

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael Westmoreland-White said...

Well, I had intended to boycott this because of the shameful way that the coordinators of the event (not Jimmy Carter) have treated glbt friendly Baptist organizations like the Alliance of Baptists, the Baptist Peace Fellowship of North America, and the Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists, but this line-up makes me think twice--especially since they have put Stan Hastey of the Alliance on the program.

Miguel--a former classmate of mine--is definitely worth going to see. If you have never heard James Forbes or Glen Stassen, don't pass up the opportunity. And Molly Marshall will electrify every time.

Since I have always wanted chances to meet Melissa Rogers, Aidsand Wright-Riggins, & Susan Johnson Cook, I may have to see if I can come up with the scratch to get to Atlanta in February.

Friday, November 30, 2007 8:58:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Michael, I was really pleasantly surprised to see Hastey's name on the program for precisely the reasons you mention. If you can swing it, I think there is value in showing up, if for nothing else but the purpose of saying, "Look, there are Baptists who believe differently about these issues." Moderate Baptist leaders at some point are going to have to wake up to the fact that they risk losing the younger generation over the issue.

I was lucky enough to get to hear James Forbes preach at Baylor (Baylor!) about ten years ago. And Melissa Rogers is great; you should definitely talk with her if you make it to Atlanta. Hope to finally meet you in person there!

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:14:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home