"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

11.28.2007

i'll raise you one music honor society

If you haven't been following the nerd-off in the comments section of this post, well, it's time to catch up. Here's a brief review of what's happened so far, round by round:
  1. Texas in Africa: 1992 state champion in anatomy in junior high Science Olympiad, president of the French Club, member of the math honor society, lettered (4 years) in band.
  2. Euphrony: lettered four years in band, fourth in overall science in the state UIL, Number Sense and Calculator competitions, choir, Spanish club, NHS. "The summer before my senior year, I decided to spend taking a couple of college classes in anatomy and botany."
  3. Texas in Africa: summer before senior year I went to a monthlong, state-sponsored program for gifted students and studied Arabic.
  4. Kirstin: "I also competed in calculators and loved it. In fact, i picked out my purses based on whether my calculator would fit well into them. And I attended Math Camp when I was 16. I was also in band and played French Horn (the nerdiest of all instruments)."
  5. The Librarian: 3 YEARS OF PIANO CAMP!
  6. Texas in Africa: 7 years of a summer enrichment program called Young Scholars, first runner-up in a scholarship essay contest about the importance of freedom.
Who's next? Bring it on!

8 Comments:

Blogger euphrony said...

As part of our school's gifted and talented program (me and my group were the first in it when the school started the program) I displayed my drumming prowess along with others in the class as we gave a rock concert to 3rd graders. For a grade. Complete with laser light show and dry ice fog. I think we played AC/DC.

In physics, I opted out of skipping a test because I wanted to take it. Really.

But I never had a matching handbag for my calculator. It fit nicely in my binder.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:56:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Okay, Euphrony, I'm in tears at the thought of your rock show for a grade. I'll see you that because I've gone on safari for a grade, and raise you 1 state championship in American history in 8th grade.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:41:00 AM

 
Blogger euphrony said...

Okay, I'm pulling out the big guns.

At church camp, summer before high school, I stayed in the #1 boy's tent. Tradition was that we would serenade the #1 girl's tent on the first night. Following a lovely *cough* performance, we started walking back; there was just enough light for all the girls to watch me trip over a large root and proceed to push over a couple of guys in front of me.

Oh, yeah, I had a different alias there. The minute I got there, when someone asked my name, I decided to call myself Orenthal (as in O.J. Simpson - long before his shame), despite the fact that several people there knew me.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Tauratinzwe said...

I entered a nose picking contest at school. The winner got to keep the pickings.

Glad I didn't win.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:36:00 PM

 
Anonymous Sister said...

But French horn players have great lips!!!! And you know I at least match if not exceed you on the nerd scale!

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:06:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Tauratinzwe, that's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard.

E, that's pretty bad. I really didn't want to have to resort to this, but here goes: I did Model UN for 9 years. Including in college.

Sister, dear, I don't know.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:17:00 PM

 
Blogger euphrony said...

When you say you did Model UN for 9 years, what you mean is that you sat around and talked but didn't really do anything, right? :)

I wore this shirt so often in college that it wore out. My wife won't let me buy another one to replace it. However, I do own and proudly wear this tie and another like it.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:37:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Oh. My.

Periodic table of the elements attire?

I fold.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:22:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home