"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

11.01.2007

a halloween conversation

Well, another Halloween has come and gone. Halloween is a big deal in Austin; when it's on a weekend, up to 100,000 people show up on 6th Street to ogle one another's costumes and get into various kinds of trouble. Being as we are not a 6th Street kind of girl, the extent of our involvement in this celebration involves strongly encouraging our students to be safe and not drive.

Instead of joining in this party, I joined friends at a birthday/Halloween party at their house, and for taking their kids trick-or-treating. We had a good variety of clever costumes, from Socialized Medicine (a doctor with a Che hat) to Harry Potter, and a Best Buy Employee to the Sheik of Crestview.

I'm pretty proud of my costume this year; I went as Habeas Corpus under the Bush administration. (Habeas corpus is your right to challenge your illegal detention by the government; the Bush administration has basically thrown it out the window with regard to suspects in the war on terror.) So I went as a hospital patient, with a black eye, a bloody nose, all sorts of bandages and braces, and a crutch.

At one point in the evening, a child we don't know looks at me and says, "Oh, I get it, you're a sick person." To which all my friends replied, "Yep." Then the girl paused and thought and said, "Or dead. " To which everyone replied, "Not yet."

2 Comments:

Blogger Tauratinzwe said...

Glad you described your costume. When I read you went as Habeas Corpus, I woundered how you could go as something no longer existent. The description of your outfit seems more like the US Constitution under the Bush administration.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 1:00:00 PM

 
Anonymous Michael Westmoreland-White said...

Nice!

Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:59:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home