"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


funny things my students said

Student, upon learning that he needs at least 5 legitimate news sources for his research paper: "Can we count Jon Stewart?"


Anonymous Michael Westmoreland-White said...

Funny. Stewart himself has repeatedly answered this in the negative, calling his show the equivalent of an editorial cartoon--not a whole newspaper. But when as serious a journalist as Bill Moyers interviews Stewart, you've got to wonder.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:12:00 AM

Anonymous rp said...

maybe part of the question would be where people get their news and if they know that the news they are receiving is trustworthy...I mean, can you trust that the factual part of Stewart's newspiece, not the commentary, but the facts is at least as solid as the news from Fox?

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 7:48:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Well, that's what I said. This was in the middle of a conversation about the difference between opinion and fact. I decided he could use Stewart and Colbert as an additional (6th) source, so long as he could demonstrate that it's fact rather than commentary.

I'll be sure to mention this as part of my teaching philosophy when I go on the job market.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 10:05:00 AM

Blogger David McCullars said...

I think you should hold a debate: which is a more reliable source of fact, Daily Show or Wikipedia.

Saturday, October 06, 2007 11:07:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home