"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

9.04.2007

thirty minutes I will never have again

Given my new employment status at UT, I just had to complete four somewhat ridiculous complicance training modules, one of which was entirely dedicated to explaining what compliance training is. Never underestimate a bureaucracy.

Here are some things I learned from the other training modules:
  • I can file a complaint with the state if someone discriminates against or sexually harasses me, but they'd really, really prefer that I first address the question internally.
  • I am technically permitted to have a romantic relationship with one of my students, but this is frowned upon, and I'd have to tell my department about it. (The idea alone is so disgusting...)
  • I can speak any language I want in the course of my job duties. Otherwise they'd be discriminating against my native heritage. Lectures in Swahili, here we come! (Wait, what am I saying?)

3 Comments:

Blogger euphrony said...

One thing I've learned from training modules is that there actually is a legal bribe, according to the US government. However, despite its legal status, my company only allows bribes if ones life is in danger.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:12:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Oh. Wow. I'm going to call my compliance office and ask about that. :)

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:29:00 AM

 
Anonymous Michael Westmoreland-White said...

Hmm. When I was academically employed, the universities in question stressed that I was NOT to have a romantic relationship with any of MY students. If a student was over 21 and not in my classes, it was technically okay, but any hint of the old "sleeping your way to better grades" would be a disciplinary matter. The church-related schools took an even stronger line, of course--especially since I was already married.
(When we were first married, Kate would sometimes come to campus, visibly hand me something and give me a big kiss--especially if there were good-looking coeds nearby! Sometimes she did so in clerical collar, if she had just come from a hospital call. Yes, I know Baptists don't wear clericals, but hospitals are more likely to believe a woman is a minister, IF. . . Anyway, Kate trusted me, but wanted to keep any oversexed cute coeds from getting any ideas. Now, 30 lbs heavier and much greyer, she doesn't worry. Sigh--I missed those hand-delivered lunches and kisses.)

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:31:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home