"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


coming attractions

A heads-up for Austin-area/central Texas friends and readers: I'll be speaking about my experiences and the situation in the Eastern DR Congo on Wednesday, September 19 at 6pm at First Baptist, Austin. I'll focus on explainng the situation there and suggest practical ways we can help support community-based ministries and development in the eastern Congo.

My talk is the day after the first airing of Lumo on PBS's POV series on September 18 (at 10pm on KLRU in Austin; check your local listings here). Lumo tells the story of a Congolese woman who was raped by soldiers and came to the Heal Africa hospital for fistula surgery. The trailer for the film is below. The documentary will give you a great sense of what life is like in the eastern Congo, what people endure there, and how a woman like Lumo goes about rebuilding her life after enduring suffering most of us can't imagine. Whether you can make it to Austin or not, I hope you'll watch Lumo if you get the chance.


Blogger David McCullars said...

I really hope I'll be able to go listen to you. (Unfortunately, there is a chance I'll have a dress rehearsal that day, but it's only a chance, so maybe not ...)

Saturday, September 08, 2007 11:20:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home