"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


two for tea

Today is a momentous occasion. Not only is it the two-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, as well as Texas in Africa's 25th consecutive First Day of School, today also marks two years since I started writing at Texas in Africa. It's hard to believe that so much time has passed since I thought up the name on a bus ride between Congo and Kigali. The original goal of the blog was rooted in the knowledge that I would be spending a lot of time in the region over the next few years. I didn't want to keep flooding my friends' and family's inboxes with emails, so I thought that starting a blog would be a great way to keep in touch during my extended stays in central Africa. So when I got back from that first trip in 2005, I decided to get into the habit of blogging by writing about football, live music, politics, and the scandal at Baylor.

Texas in Africa has been what I expected and so much more. It's been a great way to let everyone know I was alive while in the Congo, but it's also served as an important outlet for me to process what I've experienced in central Africa. The situation there is beyond description in many ways, and I don't think my mental health would be in a normal state had I not been able to think and write about these tragedies in a public forum.

It's also so much fun to be in conversation with friends both old and new. I never dreamed that perfect strangers would start reading the blog, nor that I would be fortunate enough to be linked to by lots of cool people whose writing I really admire. Having posts picked up by Ethics Daily.com was also a huge and welcome surprise. I have especially enjoyed our conversations about Baptist life, poverty and inequality, and, of course, college football!

That's all to say, thanks so much for reading, commenting, and emailing, and for sticking with me on this journey! Texas in Africa would be a much more boring blog without you!

Now that we're two years old, I expect that we'll begin frequently saying "no," stomping our feet, and throwing temper tantrums whenever something upsets us. :) Here's looking forward to another great year!


Blogger Gary Snowden said...

Congratulations on the 2-year anniversary of your blog. I always enjoy reading your insights--especially about Baptist life, Africa, and UT football. The only place you occasionally lose me is on the current music scene in Austin. Even having attended UT for 4 years in the early 70's (think Earl Campbell days), I never became a big fan of the popular music that was just gaining momentum and popularity. Oh well, probably my loss. Keep up the great writing.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:57:00 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Laura,
Welcome back to Austin. I love your blog, thanks for writing. Congrats on 2 years. I'll see you soon I'm sure, at church, a show, or at a football game.
The D.A.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:26:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home