"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

8.04.2007

some bukavu pictures...

Since I couldn't post them while I was there:


I wasn't kidding when I said I could swim to Rwanda. This is the view just down the street from my house.


Bukavu was once the capital of the old Kivu province (which was comprised of modern-day North Kivu, South Kivu, and Maniema provinces). Because of this, there are lots of big administrative buildings. To me it feels much more like a city than Goma. This is the old post office. It's now used as university classrooms and as who knows what else.



Sunset over Lake Kivu as viewed from my backyard.

This is a university teaching hospital on the west side of Bukavu. It was originally a health center for white colonists only, then fell into disrepair after all the Belgians left after independence. It was rehabilitated a couple of years ago and is now open to all.


This says, "South Kivu: we refuse war. We want peace." It's dated 1998-99, which is the time the second war was going on.



The house and The Dog.Kinko's a la Congo
This is Bukavu's Cathedral Notre Dame de la Paix (Our Lady of Peace). It's huge, it's on a hill on the central peninsula, and it's in the middle of town. You can't miss it.


Note the ten-foot tall, white, suspiciously Belgian-looking Jesus on the crucifix.
In a Texas in Africa dissertation interview first, this subject took my picture. So I took his. He's a provincial government minister for South Kivu.

One day the Chinese peacekeeping contingent decided to repair the potholes. And by "repair," I mean, "fill with gravel." They filmed themselves. It was quite a site.
Words are not adequate to express how glad I am that I wasn't on this boat. There appeared to be a preacher shouting his message from the bow. Bet that was a long ride.

The ride on the Ihusi vedette, however, was quite comfortable. Films on the flat-screen tv and a snack are included.

3 Comments:

Anonymous rp said...

Swim to Rwanda? I would buy "canoe" to Rwanda, but I wouldn't buy "swim" HA

Saturday, August 04, 2007 8:48:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

R, I passed the Camp Crestridge Staff Swimming Test! I can handle 200 yards of Lake Kivu.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:17:00 PM

 
Anonymous villager k karhinda said...

MY TOWN MY HOME MY COUNTRY I CAN'T BELIEVE IT HOW TEXAS LOOKS , JUST LIKE MY PROVINCE .... BUT BEATIFULL PICTURES YOU KNOW ... THANK YOU TAXASINAFRICA

Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:29:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home