"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

8.30.2007

september's coming soon


"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman
Hard to believe, but it's already time for the Texas in Africa pre-season football preview. Yes, we recognize that several games are already in progress, but this is close enough. After a long, painful, nine-month wait, we've watched an embarassing number of ESPN's 25 hours of College Football Live, we're very amused that #2 LSU couldn't score a touchdown in the first quarter (sorry, Blog Stalker), and we are pumped for the new season. (We are also incredibly pleased that the new ad for Pontiac Game-changing Performances features Boise State's Statue of Liberty play against OU in last year's Fiesta Bowl.) Without further ado, let the games begin!
  • Let's start with #4 Texas. Perpetual talk of another conference/national championship is in the air yet again. We here at Texas in Africa are not inclined to buy the hype. Yes, our boy Colt McCoy gained ten pounds and is better than ever, but we lost too many key players from our defense (especially the secondary) to be serious national title contenders. There's still some depth there, and it should be enough to beat OU's freshman QB (did they pick one yet?), but let's not kid ourselves. Then again, the Texas schedule isn't that difficult (TCU is not a trap game, no matter what the pundits say), McCoy will be out for blood in College Station, and a BCS game is well within reach.
  • Baylor. Baylor, Baylor, Baylor. Baylor, Baylor, Baylor, Baylor, Baylor. After throwing away last year's oh-so-close chance to make it to a bowl game, I just don't know what to say. Sepulveda graduated, so even the punting game is in question. And that, my friends, is maybe the most pitiful thing you can say about a football team.
  • Yale. Right. As if anyone who reads my blog cares.
  • Teams I Dislike. Well, clearly LSU doesn't deserve to be #2. I'm sorry, but they should be up 35-0 with the mistakes Mississippi State made in the first half (it's halftime now). We here at Texas in Africa reserve our most virulent hatred for two teams, one of which is #8 OU and the other of which is ranked #1. Unfortunately, since USC is still playing in that joke of a conference that is the Pac-10 (Please. They're playing a different game from the rest of us), they're probably going to remain #1 for most of the season.
  • Everybody else. Overrated: #5 Michigan (hello? Did we see them in the Rose Bowl last year?), #12 California (The Pac-10 does not play real football.), #23 Hawaii (ditto), #14 UCLA (are they kidding?) & #20 Nebraska (sorry, Jess). Underrated: #15 Tennessee (and you know I don't like Tennessee. This is as honest an assessment as I can make.), #25 Texas A&M (much as I hate to admit it), and #18 Auburn (this one really hurts).
Time will tell whether I'm right or wrong, but at any rate, Texas football will be well underway in 45 1/2 hours. Despite the fact that Texas in Africa still doesn't have our season tickets in hand due to the incompetence of a certain administrator who couldn't get the tuition waivers processed in time to keep this from becoming an issue, Belmont Hall assures us that everything will be okay. Here's hoping we won't have to stand in a line like this tomorrow, although we are prepared to do so if necessary. And despite the fact that the Longhorn Foundation has expropriated our favorite tailgating spot, the gang will be out in force at a new undisclosed location well before game time on Saturday. I cannot WAIT!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy Weave said...

Baylor has the best weed in Texas this year....John David Weed.

They are a miserable football team. Apparently, Guy Morriss has his house on the market. He knows his time is up.

Meanwhile, my DAWGS will get the win over those annoying Cowboys on Saturday, between the hedges.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:57:00 PM

 
Anonymous rp said...

Despite your usual reactionary rudeness regarding the DEFENDING BIG 12 CHAMPIONS from Norman(the QB is a redshirt freshman just like your boy last year, a graduate of my high school and is not unlike Jason White), you should re-evaluate the Pac-10. You're repeating old theories. The Pac-10, which I personally cannot stand, is, I'm afraid, much better than the Big-12. Indeed, I think its SEC, Big 10, Pac-10, Big 12 & then Big East.

Guy Morris doesn't deserve to be pushed out. He's got a wimp for an athletic director and nobody is going to bring any athletes of signifigance into Waco other than possibly Singletary. I wonder now if he would want the Head Job....But Guy will create toughness in these guys and do the best he can until they decide to be Division 1-AA, which they will never do. Their only hope is for the Big-12 to realign itself and kick them out, a gesture of mercy.

Friday, August 31, 2007 8:58:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

BDW, as much as I hate Georgia, I'm inclined to agree. Boone Pickens' money can purchase a lot, but a victory over Uga isn't one of them.

R, I never argued that the Big XII is good this year. That's why UT's schedule is so easy. I honestly think that the Pac-10 is still a weaker conference overall. Their defenses are nowhere near on par with those of the SEC, or even the Big 10. If they're so good, why are their non-conference games against serious opponents (eg, Cal vs. Tennessee) typically such disasters? I rest my case.

Oh, and I have three words for the defending Big XII champs: Statue of Liberty. Our redshirt freshman QB last year took us to three losses. That's how it goes. It's nothing personal. Wait, what am I saying? :)

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:10:00 AM

 
Anonymous rp said...

Let's see, you'd rather have been in the Alamo Bowl playing the Mighty Hawkeyes instead of the BCS Fiesta Bowl as Conference Champions playing in what everyone has to agree was one of the most exciting games....hmmm...

I hope TU smashes Cal....and you make a good mention about Pac-10 defenses...but I'm afraid that the Oregons and Oregon States, UCLA's, Cal, Arizona State and maybe even Arizon would beat our A&M's (seems like they did in the bowl), our KU's, our K-State, Nebraska, Mizzou....I'm afraid they are rising on the back of USC and we are slowly sinking...

I AM worried about TCU because Gary Patterson is such a fine defensive coach.....So, 10 out of 12 times, Hook 'em...

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:34:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Oh, there's no question that the Big XII is declining, but I'm not convinced that that means that the Pac-10 is actually stronger than the SEC and the Big Ten. We'll see.

I'm worried about Baylor and TCU, but not the Horns. They've been hearing it's a trap for the last 9 months, so they'll be ready. And I just find it difficult to believe that TCU can come into Austin and pull out a win, no matter how good Patterson is on defense.

Friday, August 31, 2007 11:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Emily said...

..."why are their non-conference games against serious opponents (eg, Cal vs. Tennessee) "...

Agh, I know you're talking about the last match, but please don't jinx my team! My stomache is in enough knots in anticipation of this game as is...

Personally, I LOVE an underrated Tennessee...they usually crash and burn when ranked highly. And they won't keep the ranking unfortunately...SEC, as always, is too good/tough and I don't think UT has it this year to go unbeaten - then again, no one would have thought so that championship year either...

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:55:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Sorry, Emily, didn't mean any harm! I think UT's got that one locked up, but you're right about the conference. Then again, LSU didn't look so perfect last night, and even Saban can't work a miracle this quickly in Tuscaloosa. Florida's your real worry, but other than that, UT should be able to hold its own.

Friday, August 31, 2007 2:44:00 PM

 
Anonymous rp said...

I don't think I EVER said the Pac-10 was better than either SEC or Big 10....not by any means....

;Tennessee will cream Cal

Friday, August 31, 2007 4:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Emily said...

No harm done - I just get nervous about ANY UT game - be it Florida, LSU, Cal or Vandy....

Anytime UT thinks they have it wrapped up they tend to come very close to blowing it (or they do indeed blow it)...

Friday, August 31, 2007 5:41:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Yeah, I feel your pain. I also just spent the evening listening to a couple of Florida fans, so my sympathies for Tennessee are at an all-time high. My goodness the Gators are insufferable.

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home