september's coming soon
Hard to believe, but it's already time for the Texas in Africa pre-season football preview. Yes, we recognize that several games are already in progress, but this is close enough. After a long, painful, nine-month wait, we've watched an embarassing number of ESPN's 25 hours of College Football Live, we're very amused that #2 LSU couldn't score a touchdown in the first quarter (sorry, Blog Stalker), and we are pumped for the new season. (We are also incredibly pleased that the new ad for Pontiac Game-changing Performances features Boise State's Statue of Liberty play against OU in last year's Fiesta Bowl.) Without further ado, let the games begin!
- Let's start with #4 Texas. Perpetual talk of another conference/national championship is in the air yet again. We here at Texas in Africa are not inclined to buy the hype. Yes, our boy Colt McCoy gained ten pounds and is better than ever, but we lost too many key players from our defense (especially the secondary) to be serious national title contenders. There's still some depth there, and it should be enough to beat OU's freshman QB (did they pick one yet?), but let's not kid ourselves. Then again, the Texas schedule isn't that difficult (TCU is not a trap game, no matter what the pundits say), McCoy will be out for blood in College Station, and a BCS game is well within reach.
- Baylor. Baylor, Baylor, Baylor. Baylor, Baylor, Baylor, Baylor, Baylor. After throwing away last year's oh-so-close chance to make it to a bowl game, I just don't know what to say. Sepulveda graduated, so even the punting game is in question. And that, my friends, is maybe the most pitiful thing you can say about a football team.
- Yale. Right. As if anyone who reads my blog cares.
- Teams I Dislike. Well, clearly LSU doesn't deserve to be #2. I'm sorry, but they should be up 35-0 with the mistakes Mississippi State made in the first half (it's halftime now). We here at Texas in Africa reserve our most virulent hatred for two teams, one of which is #8 OU and the other of which is ranked #1. Unfortunately, since USC is still playing in that joke of a conference that is the Pac-10 (Please. They're playing a different game from the rest of us), they're probably going to remain #1 for most of the season.
- Everybody else. Overrated: #5 Michigan (hello? Did we see them in the Rose Bowl last year?), #12 California (The Pac-10 does not play real football.), #23 Hawaii (ditto), #14 UCLA (are they kidding?) & #20 Nebraska (sorry, Jess). Underrated: #15 Tennessee (and you know I don't like Tennessee. This is as honest an assessment as I can make.), #25 Texas A&M (much as I hate to admit it), and #18 Auburn (this one really hurts).