"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)



My, my, we here at Texas in Africa certainly are getting hits from some interesting places. Apparently posting on troop presences in Goma gets all kinds of attention. (Hello, Department of Defense!)

It's not as though I'm posting anything that's a secret (anyone on the street here could see what I see), but in the interest of Being Safe, I'm taking a post or two down. Namely the ones that contain my picture. But here's an update: Goma is calm today. It was a holiday so most offices and businesses were closed. I had a great interview this afternoon at a local university. There are bunches of soldiers (in the various and sundry uniforms of the FARDC) in town. A rather high percentage of them do appear to be Tutsi.

The government claims that the army has routed the dissidents near Minembwe in South Kivu. I've been told that the plan was to finish those operations in South Kivu before starting against Nkunda's men in North Kivu. We'll see.

I used to get paid to analyze this kind of thing. Clearly, I'm in the wrong line of work.

P.S. Strategerizing and interviews aside, here's the reality of the situation in this part of the world. Rebels and soldiers and too many weapons create horrible conditions for normal people. Be sure to check out these pictures as well.


Anonymous Sister said...

Hon, I got my Newsweek yesterday and the cover and main story are on the recent mountain gorilla slaughters in Virunga National Park and the rangers who care for them. It's not nearly as long as their normal lead articles, but it's something. There's also an article on diabetes and exercise, much like the one you posted the other day. I'll save it for you. Love you, and be careful.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:18:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Thanks, darlin'. Is my friend Rob quoted in the gorilla story? It's such a mess!

Love you too! Don't worry!

Thursday, August 02, 2007 3:50:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home