"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


north toward home

It's another last night in Africa. Here at the Methodist Guest House, there's a constant stream of short-term mission-trippers, a pastors' conference, and other assorted people who are in and out. I spend most of my time in my third-floor room, watching the sky, seeing what's on television (Big Brother Africa is back. It's that, John Hagee, competitive whitewater rafting, or some really bad movies.), and repacking my bags for the last time. Today I did some shopping and went to see an afternoon showing of The Simpsons movie. And ate at Java House for both breakfast (huevos rancheros) and dinner (chicken quesadillas).

It's been good to be in Nairobi, and good to be in Livingstone. I needed to talk to old friends. I needed a reminder that Africa is not all a mess, that there are places where things work, that life is not miserable and horrible for everyone on this continent. There are poor people here and in Zambia, to be sure, but you don't see nearly as much of the desparation and misery. I needed, and am grateful for, this buffer between Congo and home.

It's time to go home and I'm ready. I leave for the airport at 5:30, arrive in London by mid-afternoon, and will be in New York this time tomorrow night. Mr. and Mrs. AAA are kindly providing me a place to crash in Brooklyn, then it's on towards home on Wednesday. Thursday I have to teach, then I'll be off again to visit my parents before the school year really gets underway. It's going to be a long week of traveling, but I'm ready. See you there.


Blogger Michael Westmoreland-White said...

We'll welcome you back, too. Thanks for the reminders that not all of Africa is a tragedy. I am just barely old enough to remember the great hopes of Africa as so many nations became independent in the '60s. The stories since that time have mostly not been as hopeful.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 9:09:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Thanks, Michael. I'm reading a great book about just that - Half of a Yellow Sun. I think you'd enjoy it.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 11:18:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home