"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

8.13.2007

music monday

I am shopping and packing in Nairobi today and have nothing inspiring for you. So, in the absence of thoughtfulness, here's a super-popular Swahili hip-hop song that's all the rage in eastern and central Africa. It's called "Regina" and is by a Tanzanian artist named Akil the Brain (featuring Steave 2k!).

It's catchy. The main gist of the lyrics is "I love you, Regina," plus lots of times when Steave 2k starts saying "Sita, sita, sita, sita" ("Six, six, six, six") over and over again. I'm not sure what that's about. The video should give you an idea of the Swahili coast culture of Kenya and Tanzania - it's a fusion of Africa and India, based around the beach, and apparently involves lots of inappropriately dressed women. Enjoy:

2 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

yesterday was our anniversary. sorry i didn't see this yesterday, but i felt the need to post this video to my blog since i love my wife so much!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:30:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Ha! I hope she wasn't totally offended! :)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:25:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home