"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

8.15.2007

like a scene from all those movies

New York. From $20 cab rides in Nairobi with friendly old men driving to a Manhattan cab driver with an attitude problem and little knowledge of Brooklyn. From pleasantly chilly 65-degree days to August in America.

Our flight from London arrived close to on-time last night. I'd been awake for 23 hours. By the time I got my bags, got through customs, and rode with the above-mentioned very unpleasant cab driver, it was more like 25. AAA and his wife who needs a nickname were so sweet to ask if I wanted something to eat. I wasn't sure, so we went to a great neighborhood Italian restaurant and caught up. It was lots of fun.

A very short night later, another cab drive with an infinitely more pleasant person who just charged me the Manhattan-JFK cab fare (it's cheaper that way), a long wait at Jet Blue, and I'm headed back to Austin. "What's the first thing you're going to do when you get back?" asked AAA's wife (they are displaced Austinites who were just back last weekend.) "Tex-Mex," I said, but honestly, I don't know. It's going to take the better part of the afternoon to haul my luggage up to my apartment, to clear the dust, and to try to stay awake until after dinner with the Librarian. My main goal for the day is to last until a reasonable bedtime. I've had about 5 hours of sleep in the last two days, and my system is definitely jet-lagged, but the second night back is crucial for getting back on schedule. Which I have to do - I teach tomorrow and fly out to Franklin tomorrow night.

Since I'll be spending time catching up with family and friends and sleep, and since the semester starts tomorrow, I'm taking a break from blogging for the rest of this week. I'll be back next week with a report from Nashvegas and some thoughts on returning home again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Hey, I am sure you're booked solid while in the Nashville area, but give me a ring/email me if you want to meet up one day. Since my leg is fully-functional I am pretty mobile.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:53:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Hey, I was going to call you! Let's definitely do something - maybe Saturday during the day or Sunday afternoon?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 7:06:00 PM

 
Blogger Emily said...

I'll be workin' in Brentwood on Saturday and could meet for lunch...

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:18:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

New Blogger, so not cool.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:22:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home