"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


hot enough for ya?

This morning I tried to blister Hatch chiles for the first time. I don't really know what it means to "blister" chiles, except that it has something to do with separating the skin from the meat of the chile and that it requires use of a broiler. According to the directions from New Mexico State University's Agricultural Extension office that Central Market was handing out, however, it's easier to peel them after freezing the chiles. So, basically, this means that I won't know for six months or so whether I did it right. They turned brown. My house smells like green chiles. I'm sure it's close enough.


Anonymous Sister said...

If you have a gas stove, you can set the peppers right on the flame and let the skin turn black, then put them in a paper bag or wrap them in plastic and let them sweat for a few minutes, and then the skin should come right off. I guess the broiler is the same idea for us electricity-users.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:33:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Does anything about my apartment suggest "gas stove"? I wish!

Thanks, darlin'. I knew you'd know what to do.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:06:00 PM

Blogger David McCullars said...

Yeah, whenever I cook with peppers (which is usually bell peppers), I always roast them directly over the gas burner until they're black. It not only takes the skin right off but helps caramelize the sugars in the pepper. I tried doing it in the broiler once and gave up.

If you don't have a gas burner, you could always invest into a blowtorch -- Crème brûlée complements of Texas in Africa!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:35:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Thanks for the tip, David. I'm pretty sure a blow torch would violate the terms of my lease, but I'll come try it at y'all's house, 'kay? :)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:32:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home