"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


rain rain

It's the dry season, but it's raining.

The last two days, we've had big thunderstorms. Yesterday's was really spectacular - lightning and everything.

This is good for two reasons: 1) it will probably slow down the impending violence, and 2) it cuts down on the dust.

Bukavu is a lovely city (as far as the Congo goes), but the dry season is so dusty. My house is near the end of a long, dry road. MONUC and other vehicles drive down it at 40 miles an hour and kick up some serious dust. By the end of the day, I'm covered in grit.

It's so bad that there are actually a couple of establishments (a hotel, a private home) that send out their gardeners to WATER THE ROAD twice a day. At first I thought they were joking. Now I'm grateful to walk by, because it means I can breathe for a stretch.

I know my Austin friends are sick to death of this summer's deluge. From here, though, I'm grateful for the rain.


Post a Comment

<< Home