"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)



This is the best article on Type I I’ve seen in quite awhile. It’s exactly how it is – a constant game of trying to figure out how to balance everything.

Type I is a whole other game from what most of those living with diabetes deal with, but it doesn’t have to be the limiting thing that people make it, especially parents who understandably freak out when their children are diagnosed. I am so glad that my parents didn’t (much), but instead trusted me to be responsible, to learn to manage the disease, and to just live life. My doctors were sometimes wary, but have always been supportive (even if that meant making me spend 8 weeks of a summer tightening up control as a condition of spending that first semester in Kenya). Now they just roll their eyes and ask how many prescriptions I’ll need.

This November I’ll mark 15 years since being diagnosed. For the record, I’ve taken six trips to Africa (four of those for extended periods of time), earned two advanced degrees, and rafted rivers and climbed mountains on multiple continents. I’ve experienced the evolution of care from an exact schedule of medications and food that made me sick all the time to the flexible, tightly controlled system we use now. I’ve watched blood sugar meters shrink in size to something that can practically be carried in a handbag or backpack. And despite a couple of scares, I have no complications. I’m glad to know that there are others living life to the fullest, no matter what they said we couldn’t do.


Post a Comment

<< Home