"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


mzungu mzungu

So I was sitting in the Kigali office of Kenya Airways this afternoon, waiting to get my ticket to Lusaka, and there was some big to-do on the radio. We'd stopped to allow the Rwandan president's motorcade to pass in Ruhengeri, so I figured it was related to that.

On the radio, a woman with an American accent was talking about her two days in Rwanda and how beautiful the birds that woke her up early this morning were. Then she started to talk about some child who'd inspired her, but how she didn't know if it was a boy or a girl. She said this. Out loud. On the platform with the president.

It was all I could do not to put my head in my hands.

Come to find out, that must have been Natalie Portman at today's ceremony to name some baby mountain gorillas. Sigh.


Post a Comment

<< Home