"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


baptist watch

Ethics Daily has a story today about Chuck Colson's speech to the SBC's Pastors' Conference yesterday. What is rightfully getting the most attention is his thoughts on Islam, which involve the words "Islamofascism" and "a vicious evil." I have nothing to say about that except that I, for one, am glad that all Christians are not judged by all others on the basis of the behavior of our extremists.

What I find much more deeply disturbing, however, are Colson's statements that seem to allude to a belief in dominionism:

"What is our purpose in life?" Colson asked Southern Baptist pastors. "It is to restore the fallen culture to the glory of God. It's to take command and dominion over every aspect of life, whether it's music, science, law, politics, communities, families, to bring Christianity to bear in every single area of life. And that's exactly what Rick and I teach in that series. That's what I have been teaching."

The "Rick" there is Rick Warren, with whom Colson has been promoting a DVD study course on a Christian worldview.

Does Chuck Colson really believe that Christians are to have "command" and "dominion" over every aspect of life? He doesn't go so far as to say that we ought have a theocracy in the United States (which is essentially what true dominionists want), but I don't imagine he used that word by accident. More importantly, do many influential members of the Southern Baptist Convention?

I am not a dominionist. Certainly, we are called as Christians to influence our world. But I don't believe that we are called to take control of the government or other systems of culture. It's just not Biblical! Jesus never took political power, nor did he try to change music or science or the law. He lived a life of self-sacrifice and of servanthood, he told us to leave our ambitions and lust for power behind. Here's hoping Colson's remarks were an anomaly. I can't stand to think about the alternative.



Anonymous Michael Westmoreland-White said...

I'm not surprised to find Dominionism coming from Colson. But I had been pleasantly surprised with Rick Warren's progressive stands against torture, for the environment, etc. To hear that he supports Colson on Dominionism is disturbing, to say the least. Of course, this is only Colson's take and Warren might be just as surprised by this take on things.

Still, this is very disturbing.

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:04:00 PM

Anonymous rp said...

"dominionism" huh? new word to me...same old, same old...there is only one way to truth and its our way.....Let's see, I think we're supposed to be Salt and Light...but then, that's the Jesus stuff these guys seldom get!

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:49:00 PM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Oh, yeah, RP, dominion theology is what Olasky's been preaching for years. Maybe I am messing up by shorthanding it.

Michael, I was also disturbed by the collaboration with Warren. I'm reserving judgment until I know more.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:47:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home