"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

6.28.2007

back to 1954

Oh, wow. This is huge.

Here's a quote from Slate, written before the decision was handed down:

"Looking at today's cases from the vantage point of the Brown decision, the idea that the Supreme Court would condemn the valiant efforts of the Louisville community is extraordinary. The people of Louisville want a community that is not separated by race, beginning with a school system in which white and black children learn to know one another."

3 Comments:

Anonymous the librarian said...

Yikes.

My entire public school experience was shaped by a never ending desegration plan, and I think I am a better person because I went to schools with kids of all different races. Going to high school at Central also made me very conscious of this issue (and of Brown vs. the Board). I am very disheartened that our high court has taken us back 50 years.

Can't wait to listen to All Things Considered this afternoon and hear Nina Totenberg's re-cap. I know, I'm an NPR Nerd, but you know what I'm talkin' bout!

Thursday, June 28, 2007 12:00:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

I'm SO JEALOUS that you're going to get to hear Nina do this one! Did I tell you that at my friend V's bacheleorette party, one of the girls signed up for karaoke as Nina Totenberg? We were the only ones in the whole place who got the joke!

Back to the serious stuff: this is going to be a disaster. Thank-you, people who voted for Bush in 2004.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 12:17:00 PM

 
Anonymous rp said...

My spouse reminds me often that the religious right is, at its heart, racist....I don't want to believe it, but she deals with them daily...and now we know something not very good about our new Chief Justice...

Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:21:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home