"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)



It was a cold and rainy day in Goma. It feels like February in Austin. I forgot my long-sleeved t-shirt and would be freezing were it not for my fleece. I didn't have any interviews scheduled, my alarm didn't go off at the right time, and C & E came back from Kinshasa. In other words, it was one of those days where you know you aren't going to get much done. Oh, well. It was fun to catch up with C & E, and to get some rest.

I went to the weekly meeting of all the humanitarian aid agencies this afternoon. The program there hasn't changed much; it's still a long weekly list of who was pillaged, raped, murdered, or displaced by various rebel groups in the countryside. After awhile, you get a little desensitized to it. I did line up a couple of interviews for tomorrow, and another for Monday, and C & E are going to introduce me to lots of people. At this point, I'm mostly worried about volume of interviews, not quality. I already know the answers to my questions and can usually predict what respondents are going to say. But the powers that be must be made happy, and if this is what it takes, fine.

Tonight I am going out with Anna and her friends for dinner and dancing. It's her last night in Goma for awhile, so it should be a good time. Most of the expats I knew before are gone (few people stay here longer than 1-2 years), so it will be fun to meet new people and hopefully catch up with some old ones. I hear there are even some Texans around...



Post a Comment

<< Home