"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

5.24.2007

married to amazement

...When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it is over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.
- Mary Oliver, "When Death Comes"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger regina said...

I love that poem. It really touched by heart tonight. I've been up praying for a 6 year old boy and a 46 year old lady--both with terminal cancer. These people have lived life completely. I am trying to learn from their examples. This poem really says it all.

Friday, May 25, 2007 12:22:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home