"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

5.22.2007

everything between the sabine and the rio grande

Here is what nerds we are: yesterday, Mark Not the Methodist and I went to watch the legislature. For fun.

(I know, I know. There's no excuse for this sort of behavior, but to be fair, it's the last week of the session, so there's lots happening. It's the best free entertainment in town. And we are political scientists. And I needed to think about the "observe the Legislature" project I make my students do. Yeah, that's it.)

Anyway, we had a great time. We met at the Chili Parlor for lunch, then headed over to watch the Senate debate a camera-based speed detection system and saw the House waste lots of time on an amendment relating to oversight of the Texas Youth Commission. We also spent lots of time making rather snide remarks about the slimy lobbyists, the fact that only the Senate requires you to go through metal detectors to sit in the gallery (my theory is that it has something to do with Dan Patrick), and generally sitting in awe of how incompetent many of our legislators appear to be. And it was fun to be in a House that is busy fomenting rebellion against the Speaker.

Hopelessly nerdy or not, all in all it was a great way to spend an afternoon. Plus there were Japanese tourists.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sister said...

Thank you for the newest addition to the collection. I haven't seen any on this trip yet. So strange...

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:23:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Seriously! I came out of the ladies room and was like, you've got to be kidding me. Mark was wondering why I was taking pictures.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:23:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home