"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


and the meadow's in the bloom

The 133rd running of the Kentucky Derby, in brief: As usual, awesome hats in the grandstand. I'm sure the mud wrasslin' in the infield is in full-swing. It's a wet track. There's no real favorite. The Queen is there. So is Richard Petty. It really is that exciting. I am not having my usual party. But next year, I'm going for real. I'd better order a hat soon...


Blogger Angela said...

how can I get in on the trip next year? My usual stellar job calling the winner ... you can check out the list on my blog.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 5:54:00 PM

Blogger Ben said...

I will totally go with you next year, provided those damn students don't give me no lip. I love the Derby!

Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:55:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Angela and Ben, seriously? Because I'm looking into getting seats in the grandstand really soon. Let me know.

Angela, I love the list. I'm a fan of the dartboard method in years like this.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 2:25:00 PM

Blogger Ben said...

The only hard part is TAing on Friday or the final exam or whatever is happening at the end of that week. Who knows how that will work out? I was thinking yesterday how much fun it would be to go sometime.

Monday, May 07, 2007 12:11:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

Okay. Apparently the ticket process is a nightmare - we probably won't get them since this is only the first year we've "shown interest." But there's always the infield, where you can't see the track.

Monday, May 07, 2007 9:56:00 AM

Blogger Ben said...

oh well

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 1:56:00 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home