"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

5.08.2007

ah, rome

Well, I never thought I'd see the day a conservative Southern Baptist started writing about the similarities between the leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention and the Roman Catholic Church. But the president of the Evangelical Theological Society (a tenured Baylor professor) just returned to Catholicism (and resigned from the presidency of the ETS a week later), Kirstin Dunst is galavanting about dressed like Pocahontas in blue satin, and Golden State beat the Mavericks. So stranger things have happened. And Ben Cole at Baptist Blogger is taking on the task.

I'm looking forward to the series. I will say that this has been obvious to most moderate Baptists for quite some time (and by "quite some time," I mean at least 25 years). I will not comment on the trend of conservative evangelical professors of philosophy, theology, and such nudging one another towards Rome.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Coleman Fannin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:24:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Coleman, that's a good point. I'm not 100% certain where Cole is headed, so I can't comment on how comprehensively he understands Vatican II, etc. But I think the point I was making about moderates is that the attempt to move to a hierarchical, centralized power structure is so contrary to Baptist tradition that it suggests similarities to Rome's power structure (completely aside from the questions of orthodoxy and the Christian tradition).

For the record, I do believe it's entirely possible to engage with Catholic ideas and theology without being a fundamentalist. You find yourself doing that frequently, I'm sure, as do I.

Thanks for your good points. I'm sorry that we won't be able to discuss this at the institute this summer, because I will be in the Congo. Hope y'all are doing well!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:19:00 AM

 
Blogger Coleman Fannin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:43:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home