"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)



So ... where'd your chocolate Easter bunny come from?



Anonymous Adam in Clarkston said...

I love reading your blog. I don't understand half of it, but the half that I do is compelling. You've set me straight on a number of things.

I'm interested in the "Chocolate Slave Trade" issue. I keep expecting it (or its proposed remedy) to be debunked, much like you've debunked conflict minerals as the source of violence in eastern DRC. But I see only this one old article on your blog, with no commentary from you.

The proposed solution to slave labor on cocoa farms, according to stopthetraffik.org and similar sites, is to petition the cocoa industry heads (Nestle, Hershey, Cadbury, etc) to commit to ensuring "slave free" chocolate in their products. Several lines of fair trade chocolate have been added because of this advocacy.

Can you weigh in on the cocoa industry? Do you smell badvocacy here? Personally, I think it's a good thing, but your blog always has me second-guessing, wondering if this has been grossly oversimplified.

Thanks so much!

Monday, January 31, 2011 8:51:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home