"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


seeing red

I have much to blog about and nada time to blog, what with grading essays, all the end-of-semester meetings, recitals, and luncheons, my dissertation, and a rather unpleasant, unavoidable situation that is a major waste of time. Hopefully I will have a little time this afternoon to write something substantive.

Until then, here's an interesting announcement from the ONE Campaign. No one I know except Jess watches this show, but, hey, if they're drawing attention to the situation in Africa, I guess i'ts a-okay with me. I won't be watching because, depending on what time GA's ends, I'm hoping to get to a ONE-related event for the (red) project at the Christian university at which I also teach. Here's that announcement:

"On Wednesday night, April 25, Bono will appear on the most watched TV show in America, American Idol, to talk about the ONE Campaign and the fight against extreme poverty.

"His appearance is part of a two-night special called "Idol Gives Back" which will focus on extreme poverty in Africa. On both nights, the 24th and the 25th, Idol with air a 30 second TV spot about the ONE Campaign.

"The Wednesday night show will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres and include appearances by Celine Dion, Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani, Earth, Wind & Fire, Il Divo, Keira Knightley, Hugh Grant, Josh Groban with the African Children’s Choir, Jack Black, Helen Mirren, Rascal Flatts, Quincy Jones, Carrie Underwood and Annie Lennox.

"In the last few months, ONE members have achieved a string of significant victories:

*In December, during the closing hours of the 109th Congress, ONE members played a pivotal role in the passage of critical Africa trade legislation (AGOA)
*In January, ONE members sent over 200,000 letters to help restore $1.45 billion for poverty funding in the 2007 budget.
*In March, ONE members worked to reverse a $2.2 billion cut in the 2008 budget."

Those are pretty remarkable accomplishments. Thanks to ONE for all they are doing to fight extreme poverty in Africa and elsewhere.

Labels: ,


Blogger Jess said...

It was very interesting last night. Not only was it poverty in Africa, but also in the US -- check out this article in the WaPo about it:


I'm glad they are bringing awareness to these issues. I think it is interesting that they say it isn't political. At least in my view, poverty is inherently political. Anyhoo, I hope you are having a good day! xoxoxo

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:31:00 AM

Blogger texasinafrica said...

I tried to watch and like it, I really did. I'm glad they were raising so much money, but, ugh, I just can't... :)

You're absolutely right that poverty is inherently political. But that would require a response by both ends of the political spectrum that neither is willing to make.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:06:00 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home