"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

4.25.2007

oh, right

It's Africa Malaria Day. This is a much better explanation of how it all works than anything I could give you.

I've luckily avoided infection with malaria thus far (Who knows what else the anti-malarials are doing to my body?), so my firsthand experience with malaria is limited to witnessing Wilco Ben's experiences in Goma last year. Let's just say that it's the disease that keeps on giving, and that it is NOT a good idea to climb a volcano when you're still recovering from your first bout. There's a reason malaria kills 1-3 million people every year, most of whom are children. I'm glad to know that many people are working to help prevent malaria infection, and hope that our government will fund efforts to do more of the same.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home