"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

4.11.2007

billy pilgrim

Kurt Vonnegut has passed away at age 84.

Slaughterhouse-Five is an amazing book. I read it on my own (can you believe none of my teachers ever assigned it?) at a time when Vonnegut's story of a man who becomes unstuck in time and ends up at the firebombing of Dresden needed to affect my thinking about when war is and is not justified and the horrible things humans do to one another in the name of security.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I read it on my own too, Laura. Unfortunately I am such a speed reader I don't remember many details. That, and it was about 8 years ago when I borrowed my brother's copy of it (someone at FHS assigned it to him).

Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:34:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Why didn't anyone make us read it? Then again, we didn't have to read War and Peace, either.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:50:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home