"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

3.18.2007

the new sbc fight

Nathan Finn has written a helpful guide to his view of the underlying divides that are contributing to the current tension in the SBC. It's an intersting and pretty well-informed read. I think it's sad that, in the name of being "open-hearted and big-minded," Finn proceeds to name a list of all those whose agendas ought not be welcome in the SBC. (Who doesn't have an agenda?)

I've known for many years that there is not room for someone like me in the Southern Baptist Convention. It just makes me sad to see it in print.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Arnie Adkison said...

TIA, I find Nathan's last paragraph to the key reason why the SBC (in my opinion) will not survive long-term through this struggle:

"The key is to be open-minded and big-hearted as we move forward in this project, never allowing personal agendas, vendettas, or the convictions of one party to hijack the process and ruin all hope of a cooperative future."

If this is truly "the key", I have no confidence that those who currently control the SBC can follow it. All of the leaders that are young enough to survive the battles will have left by the time Nathan Finn's already narrow ideas gain any hold.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 4:39:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Arnie, I think you make a good point. What I can't figure out is how any group that's dependent on growth for survival (as churches and denominations almost have to be) can accomplish growth by increasingly limited who's allowed in.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:26:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home