"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

3.22.2007

congo watch

Things that have happened in Kinshasa/I've learned since leaving to go watch the games five hours ago:
  • The UN has been evacuating schools and moving important people to the MONUC HQ. I assume that includes the Belgian school, which is the one I'm worried about.
  • Bemba sought refuge in the South African embassy, but I've read that they won't grant him asylum.
  • Mortar rounds landed in Brazzaville, the capitol of the other Congo, which sits two miles directly across the Congo River from Kinshasa. (Read: whoever's firing these things has no aim. That's what makes this so much more dangerous than it inherently has to be.)
  • Either a grenade or a mortar round hit the Spanish embassy. Isn't it frightening that they don't know?
  • The ambassador from Nigeria is badly wounded.
  • Peloustore, a fancy grocery store where I got my lunches in Kinshasa, was looted.
  • It's 4 in the morning in Kinshasa and people are still awake because they're still blogging because there are still shots and mortars going off. What a miserable experience.
  • It occurred to me earlier to wonder whether they tried to stage a coup or not. I don't think they did. But Bemba's troops have been able to control far more of Gombe than anyone expected.

I know no one really cares about this, but these are my friends, this is a place I've been, and this is scary. It helps me to know as much about what's going on as possible. Thanks for your patience with all my Congo posts.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous rp said...

I actually do care about this...that's one of the main reasons I read your blog. I don't know all the ins and outs and you are my interpreter. I care because it is part of my/our faith to care. And I care because it means so much to you...

Friday, March 23, 2007 12:55:00 AM

 
Anonymous mark said...

what rp said...

Friday, March 23, 2007 7:51:00 AM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Thanks, y'all.

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:13:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home