congo watch: update
An update, for those who might be interested in what's happened in Kinshasa since the fighting abated:
- Initial estimates for the number of deaths from the violence were in the 120-150 range. Congogirl posted an estimate of 600 on Sunday. 600 is the figure now being given by the EU. Six hundred people's lives ended in violence that didn't have to happen.
- Bemba is still hiding out in the South African embassy. Parliament was supposed to discuss immunity for Bemba on Monday.
- Kabila says he won't negotiate with Bemba.
- Says the British Ambassador: "The security of this country is, to some extent, linked to what happens to Mr Bemba."
- The U.S. embassy is not conducting an evacuation, but non-emergency employees and dependents are allowed to leave the country.
- Congogirl has some pictures of what it was like during the fighting. Water in a bag - ewwwww.
- Here's a very interesting editorial from a South African paper about the misplaced emphasis on the process of democracy (eg, organizing elections) rather than focusing on building up the capacity to have a functioning democracy. It's much nicer than what some analysts might say.
- I really like the new Reuters Africa site.