"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)


congo watch: le visage

It occurred to me that some of you might be curious to know exactly who Jean-Pierre Bemba (him whose private guard caused all the trouble in Kinshasa last week) is. Luckily, I have this lovely Bemba campaign t-shirt hanging in my closet. It's one of the anchors of my African dictators/war-criminals/presidential candidates t-shirt and fabric collection. I'll let you choose in which of those categories Monsieur Bemba belongs. The back of the shirt reads (in French), "With God, we will vanquish."
(And yes, his party's symbol is an ant. It's a metaphor. As in, working together, ants can accomplish much. When they're found inside a respetable home, on the other hand, they're crushed and killed with poison. I wonder how that fits in with the Geneva Conventions. Hmmm.)
Meanwhile, the V.A. reports that KUT played a bunch of Congolese music tonight. Being a good political scientist, I have been refusing to listen to the pledge drive this week, so there was no chance of me catching it. Oh, well. I've thought about the DRC enough for one week.



Post a Comment

<< Home