"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

2.23.2007

sxsw: i'm still mad

So, after listening to Louis Black give a lame speech about how SXSW really does care about the fans, and after keeping my cell phone on for two weeks solid, we still have no SXSW wristbands for sale. Having seen the schedule, I'm not entirely sure I WANT a wristband, but I am determined to buy one just for spite. (If I decide not to use it, it will be easy to sell.) This system is totally ridiculous.

My money is that the first round of wristbands will be released tomorrow or Sunday around 10 or 11. It has to be on a weekend, because SXSW can't reasonably expect most Austin music fans to be able to drop everything on a weekday. They promised it would happen before February, and there's only two weeks before the festival in which time they're planning two wristband drops. And Waterloo doesn't open until 10. We shall see. It better not be during church because I have to do the children's sermon (hey, SXSW, people who believe in Jesus like music, too!).

If it happens this weekend, I won't take the time to blog about it, because I'll be fighting for a parking space at Whole Foods. See you kids in line.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous kirstin said...

that really does sound like a pain. i don't have the patience for things like that. hope you get your wristband, though!

Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:37:00 AM

 
Anonymous Ryan said...

"SXSW can't reasonably expect most Austin music fans to be able to drop everything on a weekday"

Sure they can. 'Industry types' generally work nights. I'm joking, but this past year's ACL fest pissed me off when they released the first round of wristbands at 5:05pm on a weekday, thereby precluding working Austinites from getting the best deal.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 3:12:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Ryan, you're probably right. Deep down, I know they don't really care. It's just annoying because they KNOW that SXSW's presence here is a huge hassle for us, so they pretend to throw us a bone, but then they set it up so that it's almost impossible for any grown-up who supports the Austin music scene year-round to get into the showcases.

As for ACL, you don't even want to get me started.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:00:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home