"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

10.05.2006

sadness

Anderson Cooper went to Goma. Anderson Cooper went to Heal Africa. That picture, the one on the left, is of the road I walked out of many days when leaving Heal Africa. It is desolate and bleak. It matches your mood when you that place. Hard rock, as far as the eye can see. No water, except the lake, which seems so far away. Desolation and despair, with a volcano in the distance. That's what it's like outside Heal Africa's gates.

Anderson Cooper interviewed my friend Jason on his show tonight. Jason is the smartest expat I know when it comes to knowing what's going on in the eastern Congo. It is strange to see your friends, your place on television. My heart hurts again for all those little girls who've been raped by soldiers, for all those women who don't have any place to go. My heart breaks for knowing that even though a fancy reporter shows up for a few days, it's very unlikely that much will change in that corner of the world. My heart hurts.

1 Comments:

Blogger CharlieMac said...

I went to Anderson Coopers blog. His Thursday post caused me to want to both praise you and curse you for arousing my curiosity. Such stories seem to make the "T" part of Calvinist's "T.U.L.I.P." real. How can humans be so inhuman to other human beings? My heart is heavy and my eyes full as I prepare to go worship our God. A god who can forgive even these acts of depravity, but will He forgive us who ignore them?
Mac McFatter

Sunday, October 08, 2006 7:02:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home