"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

9.22.2006

talk about single-issue obsession

So our topic in class this week was American political culture - baseball, apple pie, democracy, hard work, liberty, support for the military- you know, the stuff we all believe in. To get my students to think about how ideas about America's core values play out in politics today, I had them watch a series of campaign ads and identify appeals to those core values in the commercials. It was a good little exercise - kept them awake, gave them something to laugh at, and let me mock both the NRSC and the DSCC.

The point of this is not to share my brilliant pedagogical technique, but instead to share a doozie of a political ad I found while trying to find good examples for my students. And, wow, is this an ad - illegal immigrants taking your job, letting in child molesters, and support for illegal alien flag burners versus the veteran who'll reward your hard work. Setting aside the fact that it's pretty hard to support flag burning by illegal aliens in the legislative record, and the fact that Robinson/Robinson's campaign has insinuated that his opponent is gay since he's childless (due to his wife's inability to have children), you know, I'm sure he's a decent guy. And we wonder why people don't vote.

(And no, I didn't show this one to the class. I don't want to get fired. But I am seriously tempted to show Robinson's other ad. WOW!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home