"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

9.25.2006

music monday

I meant to go see Chris Knight in Virginia this summer and then forgot. And I'm missing his Austin show at Threadgill's this weekend because I'll be in Nashville, and the odds are good that I'll be in Austin when he's playing Nashville, so there you go. (Good land - he's even playing Westport, Connecticut with Robert Earl Keen. It's like a joke. Not to mention that no one interesting ever played in Connecticut when I lived there. Unless you consider Barry Manilow "interesting.")

This post, however, is intended to be an observation that Chris Knight's career really seems to be taking off. I haven't heard much of the new stuff (other than what a guy I grew up with has playing on his MySpace), but I have loved his 2001 album A Pretty Good Guy for several years now. "North Dakota" is an incredible song, and I just love "Oil Patch Town." Knight is a gifted songwriter and if you haven't heard his music, you should check it out. He's from Kentucky, but his songs feel like the west. Maybe the closest comparison is pre-Translate Macon Greyson (playing TWO OU weekend shows at Adair's!), one of my very favorite Texas bands.

Chris Knight plays Threadgill's on Friday, Flores Country Store on Saturday, and at the Birchmere in November. Go and say you saw him before he got big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home