"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

8.16.2006

qotd

Today we start a new feature: the TiA Quote of the Day. This will come from whatever I'm reading, or saw, or something more obsessed readers submit.

If you have a suggestion for a quote of the day, please email it in. Submissions can be anonymous, or you can be identified by your blog nickname. Anyway, administrative matters aside, here's the first-ever quote of the day:

"For me, however, where gospel music is concerned, my taste is more conservative and narrow-minded than a Reverend Falwell commencement address at Oral Roberts U. Unless it's an old holy-roller hymn Johnny Cash would have learned from his mama back in Arkansas, I'm not interested." -Sarah Vowell in Assassination Vacation

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

That quote is awesome - it's exactly how I feel about hymns too. I was raised Presbyterian, and while we were looking for a church here we visited two Pres. churches before going Church of Christ (how hubby was raised) - one of them was singing all the "new stuff" written by Twila Paris back in the '80s, and that really puts me off.

Give me something written in the 1600s, 1700s, or 1800s - MAYBE early 20th century - I'm old school.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:19:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home