last night in live music: sleater-kinney
Last night's Sleater-Kinney show at the 9:30 club was the most fun show I've seen all year. Granted, that's not saying much, but the evening was a blast anyway. Reasons why:
- 9:30 is one of the best places I know to see a show. The room holds about 1200 people but still manages to feel intimate. And the acoustics are great.
- The Sleater-Kinney girls know how to put on a show. It was high-energy from the get-go, and they kept it up all the way through the second encore. Highlights included "Modern Girl" and "Little Babies." Sleater-Kinney is the inspiration for a thousand terrible, indie rock girl bands. They're so good. Better live than on cd.
- The crowd was way into it. This is Sleater-Kinney's "indefinite hiatus" tour (they don't want to call it a breakup. Whatever. It's a breakup.), so all their #1 superfans were there. Lots of dancing and singing along in a way that was fun, not annoying.
- I got to see them before they broke up. And they are breaking up. Great essay on it here.
- I finally got to see Sleater-Kinney. I've been wanting to see them For Awhile, but stuff always kept happening. Like, they'd come to Austin when I was in the Congo. Or, they cancelled their ACL set last year to open for Pearl Jam on their Canadian tour. Whatever.
All in all, a great evening and a great way to get ready for this weekend's music!!!